Ivy in Bloom: The Poetry of Spring from Great Poets and Writers from the Past - Vanita Oelschlager, Kristin Blackwood

Desciption (Goodreads):

Ivy in Bloom captures the weariness of a young girl tired of a long winter. "I stare out the window," she says on the first spread of brown and gray, "looking for birds or flowers / or even warm showers / but I don't see any such thing." But then Spring comes when "March is out of breath snow melting to flowery waters and watery flowers spring rose from its wintry rest." And Ivy's "heart dances with daffodils." As these words also dance across each spread, Ivy's world erupts into a riot of color.

Ivy in Bloom introduces the poetry of Dickinson, Longfellow, Browning, Wordsworth, Frost and others. Excerpts from their writings, as seen through Ivy's eyes, will open up poetry as a way for children to express their own feelings about the changing of seasons. This book includes longer excerpts and brief bios of each author.

My thoughts:

This is a cute book, but i have issues with it. The illustrations are nice and colorful. We see a little girl experiencing a cold, snowy winter. Like so many other children who live in areas with winters like this, it is a time a where you are either bundled up or staring out the window hoping for sunshine.

In Ohio, where I live, I remember the cold winters and now watch my children experience this every year. This book brought back memories of my childhood. My sister and I would get bundled up to out and play. It would take quite some time to put on all layers it took to please my mother. When we finally breached the doors and made to the outside, we wouldn't last long. Twenty minutes top and we were back in our house, layers off and hanging over top of the wood burner waiting to dry while we sucked down hot chocolate. As soon as we were warm, and the clothes were dry, back out the door we went for another round of freezing our rumps off. Rinse and repeat. :)

This is a cute book. It is a poem, or more group of poems, illustrated to tell a story. I do feel that some of the words are a bit advanced for the the younger part of the "5 and up" age recommendations. On the other hand, I feel the story is too short for readers over the age of nine, maybe even younger. There was an instance where a passage stopped mid sentence and continued on the next page. This could cause confusion to early readers who are just beginning to learn proper sentence structure and punctuation. My seven year old, who is an advanced reader for his age, liked this, but I had to explain the writing style to him. I do really like the illustrations.

Recommendation:

This is not a bad book. This is a book that I would read WITH my younger reader to help avoid confusion over proper grammar and punctuation.

I recieved this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.