The Library at Mount Char

The Library at Mount Char - Scott Hawkins

Description:

A missing God.

A library with the secrets to the universe.

A woman too busy to notice her heart slipping away.

Carolyn's not so different from the other people around her. She likes guacamole and cigarettes and steak. She knows how to use a phone. Clothes are a bit tricky, but everyone says nice things about her outfit with the Christmas sweater over the gold bicycle shorts.

After all, she was a normal American herself once.

That was a long time ago, of course. Before her parents died. Before she and the others were taken in by the man they called Father.

In the years since then, Carolyn hasn't had a chance to get out much. Instead, she and her adopted siblings have been raised according to Father's ancient customs. They've studied the books in his Library and learned some of the secrets of his power. And sometimes, they've wondered if their cruel tutor might secretly be God.

Now, Father is missing—perhaps even dead—and the Library that holds his secrets stands unguarded. And with it, control over all of creation.

As Carolyn gathers the tools she needs for the battle to come, fierce competitors for this prize align against her, all of them with powers that far exceed her own.

But Carolyn has accounted for this.

And Carolyn has a plan.

The only trouble is that in the war to make a new God, she's forgotten to protect the things that make her human.

My Thoughts:

What caught my attention about this book was the description, more accurately the sentence: A library with the secrets to the universe. I clicked the request button without reading anything else wanting to ensure myself ne of the w5 available coies. I am so glad I did. It's one of the strangest, creepiest, memorable and shocking books I have ever come across.

What an opening sentence:

Carolyn, blood-drenched, and barefoot, walked alone down the two-line stretch of blacktop that the Americans called highway 78.

After that, I couldn't it it down without impatiently waiting to pick it back up. I still haven't fully absorbed all that I read, and am not sure that I ever will. I already want to pick it back up to restart reading this. I think I will, I am sure there will be more that I find the second time around now that I know what to expect. This is easily one of the best books I have ever read. I was so shocked to find out that this is the author's debut novel, I so wanted more from him. I hope there is more to come, soon, I am not a patient person.

Recommendation:

Everyone. Well, not everyone. This wouldn't be good for children, or those sensitive to books containing gruesome/dark/creepy content.

About the Author:

SCOTT HAWKINS works as a software engineer for Intel. He and his wife live in Atlanta, where they spend much of their time playing Olympic-caliber fetch with their large pack of foster dogs. THE LIBRARY AT MOUNT CHAR is his first novel.

Where to Buy:

AMAZON US

RANDOM HOUSE

I recieved a copy of this for review purposes from Blogging for Books.