Taverns of the American Revolution

Taverns of the American Revolution - Adrian Covert

Expected publication: June 28, 2016

This was interesting. I never thought about how much alcohol could sway the voting public until reading this. It was common, and probably still is, for candidates to basically bribe voters into casting their vote in their favor by providing alcohol in exchange.

I did have formatting problems with my advanced readers copy. I pulled up this listing for this on Amazon and am happy to repro that they do not seem to be present in the finished version of this. The version I read would have gotten a zero, but based on what I saw, and add to it the text, this is a nice book.

History lovers with a passion for the revolution will surly enjoy this book.

Example of Contents:

GEORGE WASHINGTON MAY HAVE LOVED BEER , but as a young colonel in the Virginia Regiment, the American Cincinnatus could be a buzzkill. Washington complained that the local taverns were “a great nuisance to the soldiers” under his command, who were “incessantly drunk, and unfit for service.” Sobriety may have made for good soldiery, but it made for ruinous politics. In 1755, the twenty-three-year-old Washington was handily defeated in his first campaign by an opponent who show ered voters with drinks, a tactic known as “swilling the planters with bumbo.” Washington learned his lesson, and in 1758 he pummeled voters with 144 gallons of rum, punch, hard cider, and beer for their thoughtful consideration of his (successful) candidacy.

I recieved a copy of this from Edelweiss.